Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Trance Before France

Just to set the stage, for about three months, Andrew traveled back and forth from Caen, France to Crested Butte, Colorado.  Now, if you are not familiar with the effort required to get to Crested Butte, CO from a U.S. location, then you probably won't appreciate the effort required to get from Crested Butte to Caen. In summary, it is about 3 airport transfers totaling 12 hours of air-time and about 3 hours of driving at the tail end of flying (hopefully, I can get him to read this blog post so he can add his 2 cents about the whole travel experience.) He would be gone for about 2 weeks, come home for 4-5 days, then leave, again.  For a mother who was used to staying home with her children, this probably would have been a breeze. For me, this was HARD.   I was a full-time working woman.  I was used to days consumed by conference calls, projects, client deliverables.  I was not used to packed days full of French Tutoring, ballet classes (not for me, silly!), laundry, Rosetta Stone, packing/sorting, baths, lunch/snack packing, dinner making, breakfast making, dishwasher load/unload, etc...all on my own. All of these items prior to October were shared between Andrew and I.  Suddenly, this changed to being just me doing all of these things and I was overwhelmed - yet O.K.  Let's just say that I was ready to get a move-on by the time we left on the plane to go to visit family in Illinois and Indiana on Feb. 5, 2009.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm bummed because Grace just said she doesn't like our new house in France. I asked why and she said, "because it makes me barf...".

    She has been barfing all day, so it may be true.

    Ella and I are going to see Volt tonight - that's Bolt I'm French.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Gracie having an allergic reaction to France? Poor girlie!! We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barfing sux - I suppose you can't prevent them from eating or drinking for the rest of their life. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete