Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 23, 2009: All is Calm on this Front

Just checking in to say that all is calm here in Caen for the moment.  The past few days have been relatively normal.  Grace has continued to stay dry and welcome at school.  Ella has lost her first pair of glasses - one of many I am sure over the next 2 decades!  Mia has been herself and doing well in her class without Grace.  

Today I took my first pilates class.  Originally, I was just looking to purchase a foam roller for my home workout room, but one thing led to another and then I was signing up for a class that USED foam rollers.  In the end I think it will be a good idea.  A pilates class will add some variety to my workouts, will help me meet people and will also help me brush up on my French vocabulary for body parts!

Andrew and I met for lunch today and had our first sushi meal.  I would say that it fulfilled our craving for sushi, but it was nothing to write home about.

Grace and Mia have their 4th birthday on Sunday which is hard to believe.  There is a carnival in town for the next three weeks so we'll be taking them to the carnival to celebrate.  I probably seem like an awful mother for not planning some big birthday party for the girls but I have two good reasons for not doing so.  First is that Grace and Mia don't know the name of a single person in their class - so how good of friends can they be at this point?  Also, now that they are in two classes of thirty each, I simply can't plan a party for sixty 3 and 4 year olds.  So, I am hoping that the carnival and princess cupcakes will wow them so much that they don't even notice the lack of party.  

Before I sign off for the day I have just one question that I need your help with - a grammar question for which I just don't remember the rules.  Here it is:
When using numbers in writing, when do you write the word of the number out (thirty) and when do you write the actual number (30)?

Thanks and bonsoir!

5 comments:

  1. I'm SOOO glad Grace is staying dry. You are so smart for thinking of breaking the team up and I'm so proud of her for staying dry.

    To answer your question about numbers, you write the word of the number for single digit numbers only - through nine. Here's a website to reference: http://www.grammarbook.com/numbers/numbers.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of different rules:

    The only hard and fast rule is that small numbers, such as whole numbers smaller than ten, should be spelled out.

    Experts don’t always agree on other rules. Here are the guidelines I was given in College.

    Some experts say that any one-word number should be written out. Two-word numbers should be expressed in figures. So you would write out twelve or twenty. But not 24.

    Don’t start a sentence with a numeral. Make it “Fourscore and seven years ago,” not “4 score and 7 years ago.”

    Centuries and decades should be spelled out. Use the Eighties or nineteenth century.

    Rounded numbers over a million are written as a numeral plus a word. Use “About 400 million people speak Spanish natively,” instead of “About 400,000,000 people speak Spanish natively.” If you’re using the exact number, you’d write it out, of course.

    Two numbers next to each other. It can be confusing if you write “7 13-year-olds”, so write one of them as a numeral, like “seven 13-year-olds”. Pick the number that has the fewest letters.

    Don’t say “He was my 1st true love,” but rather “He was my first true love.” Be consistent within the same sentence. If my teacher has 23 beginning students, she also has 18 advanced students, not eighteen advanced students.

    I am sure that was WAAAY more than you wanted to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Grace - we will call you on Sunday about 7pm

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS, I think it has to do with nouns and adjectives!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!! Funny how we forget those things.

    ReplyDelete