Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2009: Who Says You Can't Go Home?



So yesterday I went to a local do-it-yourself store to buy some odds and ends.  When I left for the store, it was hot, humid and crazy sunny.  When I was walking around the store, I thought I heard thunder but then realized that was insane.  There was not a cloud in the sky when I came.  It must be something else making that noise.  But let me tell you, when I left that store, I knew it was thunder the whole time.  The sky was dumping buckets of water - I can't even fathom where all that water comes from!  I stood underneath the roof incline for about 15 minutes but eventually I just had to make a run for it.  The girls had to be picked up from school in half an hour.  I kept wishing that I ironically bought a plastic tarp so I could use it to protect my purchases. But no such luck. I had nothing to protect me or my cart and to top it off I had cleverly parked in the very last parking spot at the very back of the lot so as to have an easy entrance and exit with my CTA bus.  I walked (not ran) to my car in resignation.  I was soaked the minute I stepped foot out of roof's way.  Once I got past the initial frustration of being completely soaked, sliding around in my flip flops and the not-so-nice people who were not giving me the right of way as I tried to cross the olympic size pool parking lot, I was actually OK.  I resigned to the situation and voila! I told myself I was lucky to have a car and shelter and money to buy DIY items and it wasn't so bad anymore.  Even though I was still cold and shivering and my purchases were wilting...

This is one of those good/bad scenarios so hold on to your seats...

After I got home for the DIY store, I had just enough time to change my wet clothes and get to school to pick up the girls.  When I arrived at school, I saw the following sign posted in the entryway:

What I read the sign to say is that on the 18th of May, in the classes of Grace and Mia, nobody cried, nobody was calling for their mother and father.  The class was for once happy and content to be together.  Now, I am not 100% sure my translation of that sign is accurate, but it made me happy to think that 1) it isn't just Grace and Mia that are discontent at school at times and 2) that they might actually finally be happy in their classrooms.  So, even though my day was quite soggy until this point, I felt very happy after "reading" this sign.

Tonight I booked our plane tickets to go back to Crested Butte in August for three weeks.  I think the whole family is totally excited.  The girls are excited to go to Little Red Schoolhouse while we are home and do all the summer activities and see their friends. They also are thinking about what they can ship back to France as every day they mention something else at home that the wished they had here.  I can't wait to see my friends and actually get some time on my new mountain bike that is rusting in the garage as we speak!  And Andrew is probably the same - happy to hang with friends and get some mountain biking in and just be at home for a while.

As for the remainder of the week, tomorrow is a day off.  I think we will get together with a friend and her daughter for a play date.  Thursday is a field trip day for all three of the girls. Mia and Ella are visiting a farm and Grace is visiting a nature museum.  On Friday, Andrew will return home from his travels (which I will definitely have him guest blog about). Yay!  I am hoping to secure our new babysitter for Saturday night so Andrew and I can go out on the town.

Pictured above: The ridiculous rain that was falling and soaked me to the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment