Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30, 2009: Planes, Trains and Automobiles



(Pictured above: my parents on the train to Caen from Paris)

Well, it has been one of those car -> train -> subway -> subway -> airport shuttle -> airport shuttle -> subway -> subway -> train -> car days. You know what I mean? My sweet parents arrived into Paris today from Hamburg, Germany. For months I had planned to pick them up at the airport using the car. But as the days approached, I felt like our car kept getting bigger and bigger. My determination to drive to Paris was diminishing each and every day. Maneuvering the big old car around Paris just seemed beyond my abilities. So, I opted for the train and from there you know the rest of the story - see first sentence above.

The temperature today was unbelievable. Probably mid-80's and very humid. My parents arrived with lots of baggage. The metro trains in Paris have no air conditioning. Let's just stay I felt absolutely awful dragging my sweet parents around all of the trains today while they sweated their keesters off and dragged lots of baggage up and down broken escalators and stairs.

The good news is that we made it to Caen safe and sound. And the best news is that there is no bad news. Everything worked out just fine, just as it should. It was just a long, sweaty day. So with all that behind us and a fine meal in our bellies I hope tomorrow starts a great adventure for my parents here in France. I can't wait to show my father the D-Day beaches and my mother the lovely villages full of flowers and tasty treats. I can't wait for them to just relax and do nothing, as they wish. I can't wait for them to hang out with the girls and be amazed by how much they have changed. And mostly I can't wait to just be with my family.

Regarding other items, the girls have their last day of school on Thursday! They are very excited. I have discovered a school that is bi-lingual in English and French and they are going there tomorrow (Wednesday) to try it out. If they like it, they will go there a few days a week during the month of July. So far, all three of the girls are very excited about the prospects of this school. I think they heard the words, "English", "garden", "trampoline" and "modern bathrooms" and thought they may have just heard of what seems to be heaven. So we'll see what happens - I hope they like the school. Then I just need to figure out what to do with them on Tuesdays and Thursday!

Everything else is pretty steady around here. The temperature has been quite hot and the air humid. That prompted us to buy 4 fans last night. I think we all slept a little better with the cool gusts of air. Andrew's parents made it home safely from here in Caen. They are now off on a roadtrip to see friends. Andrew remains busy with his job and studying French. He now has a new tutor and just tonight I caught him doing homework and studing.

I know it was quick, but that is it for now. Hopefully in the next few days we will have some trips to report back on. A few days ago Andrew and his dad took the girls to Falaise (William the Conqueror's birth place) and I hope he will blog about that fun trip sometime soon.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment