Friday, July 10, 2009

July 6, 2009: 8 Mile

Monday, July 6 started the new and consistent schedule for the girls at First Baby's School. 9 - 5 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I know it seems like a long time for the girls to be at "school" during the summer break. But trust me. There is no place else they rather be! They cook, garden, run around and play, do arts and crafts, sing songs, etc...So I with a very full heart of happiness for the girls, dropped them off at school and went on my merry way.

When I arrived home, I parked the car and immediately left for a run which I so desperately craved. I decided to run up to the botanic gardens since I had never been there. It took only about 20 minutes to get there and then run around the whole place so then I decided to run up some streets to see what I might find. And you'll never guess what I found. Running trails!!! Published running trails. There was a huge map at the entrance to a huge green, grassy field with walkways and the map showed 4 published running trails through the city of Caen. I couldn't believe it! I mean at first, I thought no one ran here in France. Then I finally found the horse track where many people run. The more I ran there and at differing times of the day, the more I saw more runners. So that was relieving. But then to see these running trails, I was beside myself with excitement! I just had to run one of them, I couldn't resist. The 4.5 km trail sounded nice so off I went. It was so nice, as the running course had posts throughout the city and the path took me through green spaces and fields and gardens that I didn't even know existed. I saw parts of Caen that I had no idea were so close to my home - running around just kind of connected the dots for me in a lot of ways. How cool, huh?

I arrived home a little later than I had expected, around 11:00 a.m., after having ran longer that anticipated. But once I showered, my parents and I immediately set off for a walking tour of Caen. I took them to the Hippodrome (the horse track where I often run) where we walked about half a lap.
(my mom and I standing in the Hippodrome)

From the Hippodrome I took my parents to see the Hotel de Ville (City Hall) and the Abbaye aux Hommes. The weather was cooler this day and a bit windy so the walking was much more enjoyable than it had been. We walked around the pretty landscape of the Hotel de Ville and then tried to enter the Abbaye but it was closed until 2:00 p.m. So that was a good time to grab some lunch. I took them to another crepe restuarant that I had wondered about where we ended up enjoying another tasty crepe and gallette lunch. We then returned back to the Abbaye where we saw the tomb of William the Conqueror and perused the beautiful building.
From here we started for home. I took them to a favorite store of mine and also showed them where some othe stores were that they might be interested in at some point. We arrived home around 4:15 p.m.

My mom has been using a pedometer and keeping track of how far she walks each day. She informed me at the end of this day that we had walked over 5 miles. Add that to the over 3 miles or so that I ran earlier in the day and that would explain my body's extreme exhaustion and sore feet. Eight miles logged and I can recall that we all slept VERY well that night.

Coming up in the next post: Not much - it was a rainy day that kept us at home!

1 comment:

  1. ok - here we go - what a super day you had - the trails must be beautiful - maybe I should take up running!

    ReplyDelete